External Researchers

Affiliated Researchers: Information for Academic Researchers who wish to conduct research in Fraser Health

Scope: Please note that this requirement applies to research that needs to be conducted in Fraser Health owned and/or operated sites only.  It does not apply to research that can be conducted in the Fraser Valley but that is outside of the direct Fraser Health Authority jurisdiction, e.g. private physician offices, community centres.

Definition: Affiliated researchers are non-Fraser Health researchers who have been granted ‘affiliated status’ with Fraser Health.  Fraser Health has ‘Research Affiliation/Collaboration’ Agreements’ with academic institutions which lay out the institutional requirements under which a non-Fraser Health researcher can become affiliated with Fraser Health.  In order to obtain ‘affiliated’ status, the non-Fraser Health researcher will be required to sign-on to the ‘Agreement’ for their particular academic institution. 

Fraser Health has ‘Research Affiliation Collaboration Agreements’ with the following academic institutions:

  • Royal Roads University
  • Simon Fraser University
  • Trinity Western University
  • University of the Fraser Valley
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Victoria
  • McGill University

Starting the Application Process: In order to initiate the process for obtaining affiliated status, the following documents must be submitted (emailed) to Magdalena Newman, Research Development Specialist, Department of Evaluation and Research Services:

  • a letter of application outlining why the applicant wishes to become affiliated and their area of research study
  • a current academic curriculum vitae specifying the applicant’s academic affiliation and area of research study

Following confirmation of eligibility, the applicant will be informed of the next steps in the process for obtaining affiliated status.  

Timelines:  Confirmation of initial eligibility and a letter detailing next steps is normally emailed to the applicant researcher within 3 business days.

Minimum Requirements:
The ‘Affiliation Agreement’ lays out the affiliation terms.   Please note the following key requirements addressed in the ‘Agreement’:

  • Research ethical review and approval must be obtained from the Fraser Health Research Ethics Board.  
  • Ethics applications to the Fraser Health Authority Research Ethics Board must include the signed letter from the FHA co-investigator that indicates their role in conducting the research study.  Applications not including this information will not be reviewed and will be returned to the affiliated researcher for completion. 
  • There must be a Fraser Health co-investigator for each research study conducted by the affiliated researcher in Fraser Health.  The Fraser Health co-investigator must submit a letter to the Fraser Health Research Ethics Board with the ethics application that includes the following:  1. Complete study title; 2. Name of the Principal Investigator conducting the study; 3. Clear outline (can be in point form) of the Fraser Health co-investigator’s responsibilities, and; 4. Signature of the Fraser Health co-investigator.
  • All Fraser Health’s ethics and research approval policies and procedures apply to affiliated researchers.  
  • A study report must be submitted to the Department of Evaluation and Research Services at the conclusion of the study.

Questions: Please contact Kate Keetch, Research Development Specialist, at kate.keetch@fraserhealth.ca.

Provision of Services to Non-Fraser Health Researchers

Some academic researchers who are conducting research that is already approved by their academic institution’s Research Ethics Board may only require access to data, such as health record data, or for example, access to patient care areas to post posters for subject recruitment.  Fraser Health’s policy on the Provision of Services to Non-Fraser Health Researchers permits researchers to obtain these services as long as the Fraser Health requirements, detailed in the policy, are complied with by the researcher.

Health Records requires non-Fraser Health researchers (i.e. those that are not affiliated) to use the Health Records Approval Form for External Researchers

For more information, contact Susan Chunick at susan.chunick@fraserhealth.ca.