Supporting UBC Family Practice Resident Research Projects at Fraser Health
Download the PDF copy of Supporting UBC Family Practice Resident Research Projects at Fraser Health.
The UBC program does not require a research project; other project activities are allowed (e.g. quality improvement project, literature summary, etc.)
- Research Project Logistics
Recommended Timeline: Typical research projects take 1 year to complete
Year 1 of Residency
- End of 1st year in spring (April / May) - Workshop by Department of Evaluation and Research Services
- Overview of current research ethics submission guidelines
- Research question development and study feasibility
Year 2 of Residency
- Summer into fall - Writing of research protocol.
- Usually takes a month to complete.
- Work with site scholar director and statistician.
- Submission of protocol to research ethics.
- Ensure this is completed by the fall so you can meet your deadlines.
- Data access
- Fraser Health does not have access to data from family doctor clinics in the community
- Name of family doctor is not always available in hospital data
- It can take a few weeks for Health & Business Analytics to respond to data requests
- A data request to either HBA or HR can be initiated with the Department Agreement for Providing Research Related Services (DAR) form while the study is undergoing ethical review, but HBA/HR will only release the health record/data when the Letter of Authorization to Conduct Research (LOA) is issued by the Director, Department of Evaluation and Research Services, which includes the FHREB approval.
- For planning purposes only, HBA can be asked whether the data needed to answer the research question is available (clarify to HBA that this request is for planning purposes only and not a request for the data itself; HBA will not release data without an LOA).
Research Services Provided by Fraser Health
- Department of Evaluation & Research Services
- Study feasibility assessment
- Study design and statistical analysis support (protocol development, sample size calculation, etc.)
- Available on first come, first served basis and relies on availability of statistician (statistical and project design support is also available through UBC)
- Download the study design resource and view the Research Toolkit.
- Research Ethics Review
- All information pertaining to submissions to FHA Research Ethics Board (FHREB) is available on the website. View guidance notes.
- Recommended Process:
- Discuss study idea with DERS team to ensure study is feasible
- Review protocol draft with site scholar director. Use the Fraser Health template for research protocols and chart review research protocol template.
- Submit protocol to Samar Hejazi for review & feedback prior to submission to FHREB (as protocol development is iterative, several revisions may be required)
- Submit application form, protocol & other study documents to FHREB
- Tips for speedy ethics review:
- Other Fraser Health Service Departments
A list of Fraser Health service departments can be found on FH Pulse: